This blog has picked up a bunch of new followers thanks to last month, so here’s what you need to know about commenting in my space.
1. Comments are moderated.
Your first comment might take a while to show up. Please don’t resubmit it or leave the same comment on multiple posts. That’s a good way to get sent to spam.
2. Reasons your comment might get deleted instead of published:
– it’s negative, rude, hurtful, abusive, or thoughtless
– it perpetuates harmful assumptions, stereotypes, or tropes
– it’s self-serving spam
– I have decided you are a troll who is not worth feeding
Sometimes, I get a comment that provides such a good object lesson that I decide it deserves its own blog post, instead of being hidden away in the comments thread. If you become an object lesson, you will generally not be given the chance to comment. Consider this before you post.
3. After your first comment is approved, followup comments will not be moderated.
You managed to meet basic standards of commenting decency. Yay! I will delete and ban you if you decide to be a dungwaffle instead, though.
4. None of the above violates your free speech rights.
You’re free to request a primer on First Amendment law from me, billed at my usual hourly rate.
Most of the commenters here are awesome people. These rules are designed to support that vibe.